Friday 23 February 2007

Skiing checklist


I have always had problems with packing for longer trips. Usually I have started packing just hours before the actual departure. It has happened quite often that I left an item or two at home. If by a strange coincidence I didn't forget anything, I was nervous for at least a couple of days afterwards. I just had an annoying feeling that there must be something I have forgotten. Can anyone relate to that?


The photo is showing the state of our apartment after me and my girlfriend unpacked our stuff (not all of it is visible) from the car after a three week camping trip to Corsica. Try to pack that much stuff without forgetting anything. Would you believe all of this stuff was driving around in a Renault 5?


It was years ago, when a friend of mine gave me a great idea. Why not make a couple of simple Excel tables with items needed to be packed in my luggage.
I have come down to just a few travel checklists: summer camping at the seaside, summer holidays in a hotel, mountain hiking, sailing, skiing and one for business travels.
Of course all of the mentioned lists change each time according to some specifics. You also need to take into account your needs (e.g. if you regularly take some kind of medicine, you shouldn’t forget to pack it). Even I check the list every time I use it and add an item or two if necessary.


Here is a skiing checklist which I used for this months one week long trip to Italian Dolomites.

Skiing Checklist
ItemQuantityPacked
Passport1Y
Cash (EUR)500Y
Bank cards2Y
GSM & charger
1
Y
Digital camera & charger
1
Y
Maps
2
Y
MP3 Player
1
N
MP3 Music CDs20
N
Sunglasses
1
Y
Swiss army knife
1
Y
Books
1
N
Board & card games3
Y
Pen & paper
1
Y
Thermo flask
1
Y
Skis & ski-sticks
1
Y
Ski goggles1Y
Ski boots1Y
Ski suit (jacket & pants)
1
Y
Ski mitts
1
Y
Leather gloves
1
Y
Scarf
1
Y
Cap
1
Y
Socks & stockings
6
Y
Underpants
6
Y
T-shirts
6
Y
Gym-pants
1
Y
Sweat shirt
2
Y
Trekking pants
1
Y
Jeans pants
1
Y
Towel1
Y
Backpack (25 l)
1
Y
Slippers
1
Y
Trekking shoes
1
Y
Umbrella
1
Y
Bag with toilet set
1
Y
Sunscreen
1
Y
Lip gloss (protective)
1
Y
Medicine (pills, plasters, etc.)
n
Y
Condoms (pack)
1
Y
Schnapps (bottle)1
Y
Food & drinks for the road
n
Y

If you think there is something missing, please do post it in a comment.

2 comments:

Blogger 24 February 2007 at 03:00  

Nice blog. Check my blogs.

Thanks

Michael 26 February 2007 at 17:24  

We once at a guest from Sweden that showed up for a week with just his passport, cash, cell phone and condoms.

Once he sobered up and discovered he was at the wrong type of place he flew off for Thailand.

Cheers,

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Label Cloud

Followers

Blog Archive