Wednesday 13 June 2007

Bunny nursery


I don't know if there is anything cuter than young doggies, kittens, bunnies and similar little fur balls. Well this post is obviously going to be about bunnies! If you are wondering how the nursery fits into this story, you will just have to read along.


Usually I go visit my grandmother every couple of weeks. She doesn't really live on a farm, but nonetheless has a dozen chickens, five hares and a goat. That would be way too much work for me, but she seems to enjoy every minute of the work.


About two weeks ago one of the female hares has brought forth nine young ones. After a couple of days the goat followed with two, but unfortunately both of them were stillborn. Early the next day mother hare started to act weird and died later the same day leaving behind nine little bunnies.


They were still very small, with their eyes not quite opened yet and of course they also couldn't chew any food yet.
Fortunately my younger brother came up with an idea. He persuaded our grandmother to milk the goat and then he tried to feed the milk to the little bunnies. He took them in his hand one-by-one and they sucked on the improvised teat like crazy!


That wasn't so strange, because I'm sure quite some time has passed since their last meal.


After the initial success he repeated the routine for two to three times each day. After a few days they seem well. I'm glad they all lived through their first obstacle in life, but still I'm not sure all of them will make it till they learn to chew some proper food. That's because some of them are growing at a slower pace.


It is a real pleasure to see them grow on a daily basis. They really are getting bigger every day.


However things turn out, I'll try to keep you posted.

9 comments:

Anonymous,  13 June 2007 at 09:45  

AWWWW they are so cute! My daughter loved these photos too. Lady Rose

Anonymous,  13 June 2007 at 10:01  

They are really cute! I'm glad that they are doing all right without their mother around them. Hope they will grow stronger and bigger soon...

Dana 14 June 2007 at 04:23  

They are adorable! I love babies.

Anonymous,  14 June 2007 at 06:21  

Hi, Marko!

That's an awesome story. Those little bunnies are so cute. So sad that they lost their mama. I hope they end up ok.

By the way, I've added you to my blogroll. If you don't see yourself on my front page look for the "Full Links List" page (I like to rotate out the links list on the front page).

Travel-PB 15 June 2007 at 09:47  

Yup I agree. This is a typical Awwww post. ;)
I'll keep you posted on their progress. I plan to go check on them this weekend.

@jennyjinx: Thanks. I have already added you to my list.

Jen 15 June 2007 at 22:41  

My daughter wanted to know why you get to have bunnies and we don't.

Crap.

Anonymous,  16 June 2007 at 17:50  

Awww.... TOO cute! Rabbits are one of the few types of pets we don't have! LOL... Your brother is awesome to give his time to care for the wee orphans!

B 25 June 2007 at 08:43  

soo cute!

I hope they will be okay

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Label Cloud

Followers

Blog Archive