Friday 2 March 2007

Hey there, foxy!


And for once I am talking about a four-legged, furry one. ;)



This truly wonderful encounter happened on a roadtrip around Corsica, France. We were just returning from a full of adrenaline, climbing adventure near a little village called Chisa (that's a story for another post I guess), when something jumped in front of the car and into the bushes by the narrow road.
I wasn't sure what it was, but it seemed to me like the little creature has stopped not too far from the side of the road behind some bushes.

My girlfriend was not too excited about stopping, but I decided not to listen to her ("once again", she would probably add).


So I stopped the car by the road just a few meters ahead and turned off the engine.
After a moment of hesitation I grabbed my camera, silently opened the door of our car and stepped out. From there I could finally see what it was. A young fox was observing us from a safe distance. My girlfriend decided to join me and tried to take a couple of photos of the lovely animal.
She has tried, but was not satisfied with the results. The problem was that it was too dark to take photos without the use of flash.
The fox didn't seem to appreciate the flash approach. We thought that it was going to run away, but even a couple of flashes couldn't scare the foxy away. It was obviously just too curious. After every flash it has just retreated for a few steps, but always came back after a while.


Unfortunately the photos were no good. It was too dark and the fox too far away. Hoping for a better photo opportunity, we have decided to lay low for a while.

We didn't have to wait for too long - the fox has decided to cross the road just in front of us. It jumped on a stone wall on the left side of the road and got ready for a photo-shoot. It just stood there and flirted with the camera in the late afternoon sun. If I tried to move closer than 3 meters it would get a bit nervous, but after I took a step back, it was in the relax-mode again.


It took several photos for the fox to get bored and to decide that it's time to move on with her afternoon stroll through the forest.


Only then I have realized that we have been absolutely silent for at least 15 minutes. We sat inside the car for another moment and just tried to exchange our feelings and observations.


As we drove on, we were both just so glad that we took some time to "stop and smell the roses". Nature can just be so beautiful!


And the moral of this story is (there just has to be one - there's a fox involved):

Even when with a girlfriend, it's not always a bad thing to notice a foxy walking by. Sometimes she (the girlfriend, that is) might even appreciate it!

7 comments:

Travel-PB 2 March 2007 at 20:09  

Not so much the shot as the foxie on it... ;)

Louisiana 3 March 2007 at 15:06  

the cute and sweet Dr. John made you his link of the day. we thank him for you have some great pics here to enjoy..

B.R.L 3 March 2007 at 16:10  

Enjoyed the fox, glad you took the time to stop, and waited to get a good shot. I came from Dr John's

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} 3 March 2007 at 17:32  

A great picture you are sharing. This is the right way to shoot animals. Thankyou for sharing the picture and the story. Coming by way of Dr John.

Bazza 3 March 2007 at 21:19  

A lovely photo and , for you a magical moment, I'm very envious.

Travel-PB 4 March 2007 at 00:37  

Thank you guys and especially thanks to Dr. John for recommending me.

You are welcome to drop by any time. I still have a story or three to share.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Label Cloud

Followers

Blog Archive